Saturday, September 8, 2012

Success!!!!!!

Well...big news people...I SURVIVED MY  FIRST WEEK. You know you are back in the nursing school mayhem what that is a mark of achievement. Don't worry, I am exaggerating a wee bit...but only a tiny bit. But I'll admit it, I still love nursing as much as when I started 2 years ago if not more.

So now that I have gotten through the week, I can fill you in a bit more on what this 3rd year will look like for me. On Tuesday, I have my first full day at my pediatric rotation. That experience is going to be extra special since I am precepting with my childhood pediatrician! When I went there to orient to the office a few weeks back, I couldn't help but tear up looking at the old halls I use to walk and paintings I use to stare at when my doctor said, "Oh my! I can't believe it, but I see an elephant in your ear! Can I look in the other one?" Oh man...that means...no... there was never an elephant in my ear? I have been living a lie ;-)  Then, on Tuesday evenings (from 7:45p-9:00p) I have a virtual class, which is the craziest and coolest concept to me. I will literally be looking at my clinical faculty and classmates in the face from the comfort of my own home. Let's hope Bella doesn't try to add her two cents!

Then, on Wednesdays, I precept at Health Services on the Regis campus. I had my first day of this rotation last Wednesday! Honestly, I was SO incredibly nervous firstly, because the college health services environment is essential where I see myself working as a Nurse Practitioner when I graduate (so I want to make a good impression!) but also because I saw some patients there who I know personally from being in the nursing program. I was blown away by how incredibly flexible, understanding and patient they and the other patients who I saw last week were to me. So to you (you know who you are): Thank you!

Regis Health Services is going through some really amazing changes, so I encourage you to go over and have a look during your free time, if you have a concern or question, or a health issue you need to address! The staff are a group of incredible people and it is now available to staff and faculty too (in case you are reading)!

Then, on Thursdays, I spend the morning working as a graduate assistant in the Graduate Admissions Office with the fabulous staff and then head off to prepare for class from 5:30p-9:00p. This week we had an orientation to the basics of nurse practitioner roles, the class expectations, schedule and structure. I am blown away by the professionalism, flexibility, optimism and support of the Master's staff. Each bring their own special expertise and viewpoint to the program, which makes it all the more special and applicable for practice. This past week, I learned the basics of the child well visit (aka yearly physical). We reviewed pertinent growth and development along with assessment strategies and areas for education. I loved that our class was able to ask questions and discuss challenging issues that arise in advanced practice. 

Tired yet? Well, we got more! On Fridays, I precept with an amazing NP in Everett at a small private practice that I ADORE!! I feel so lucky and blessed to have found this placement thanks to my good, good friend who graduated from the program last year (and, who also has a JOB, which is super exciting!). I spent only 5 hours with him on Friday because he had to leave early, but I already learned SO MUCH: how and when to prescribe a Steroid taper, how to irrigate a cerumen (wax) impaction from an ear, how to do a patient intake, and how to initiate/educate a patient beginning a chronic pain management contract. All 3 of my clinical placements for this semester are incredibly different and I am grateful for that. Honestly, I think the more experience with different office settings, colleagues, preceptors, coding, note taking, etc, I can get the better! I do hope I get to practice my Spanish at some point as well.

And that brings us to Saturday! Believe it or not, I am here at Regis at 3:16. Today I had a GREAT class called Concepts in Nursing Leadership which meets from 9-4 one Saturday a month. I already have learned so much about myself, my goals and my strengths/challenges as a leader. I think it will really be an enlightening experience.

So then tonight, my boyfriend and I are off to dinner at his brother and girlfriend's apartment and then for the next 48 hours it's off to case study land. Where is case study land you ask? Somewhere in between panic, caffeine and isolation island. Every week or so, we have to complete a case study where we are given patient scenarios and have to tell what we would do/assess/question based on the most pertinent, recent nursing research. I am so nervous because I really want to do well. I just have to remember I'm only starting and it will be a steeeeeep learning curve! 

Well, I guess that is it for this week. Hopefully this will give you future NP students an idea of what a normal week in the life MIGHT look like for you year 3. However, it is totally worth it. Every day when you walk into that clinical setting, you have to have the faith that somehow, some way you will be the one achieving your goal. It's hard to believe it's less than a year from that finish line, but we will get there somehow together!

Happy Saturday and talk to you next week! Remember, feel free to email me ANY and ALL nursing/Regis-related questions and I will post them on this very blog at Rfran430@regiscollege.edu.

Rachel :)

Bella Photo of the Week

"Look at me! Look at me!"




No comments:

Post a Comment