Wednesday, January 23, 2013

AGGHHHH!

AGGGHH!!

That about sums it up... see you next week!

Just kidding, no but really it does. Where do I start? My schedule this semester is CRAZYY! Okay, here is a week in the life:

Monday: Clinical 730-230, Class 5-8
Tuesday: Clinical 1-6, Online class 745-9p
Wednesday: Clinical 830-400
Thursday: Class 2-4 once a month, 530-900 every week
Friday: Clinical 9-4

Throw in a BAD cold (achoo!), a boyfriend, family, friends, a dog, needing to eat and sleep at some point and you've got a recipe for stress!

Don't get me wrong, I do feel the need to remind you that I SO love it! And it is really getting especially great because I feel like I am finally starting to GET it. Like now, when I go into patient rooms, I don't feel super overwhelmed, lost, confused and clueless. I am starting to be able to create care plans, perform better diagnosing, and improve on my assessment skills. For me, this seems to be the most challenging part. There are days when I simply can't see the ear drum or can't feel the prostate. That though, so I have heard, takes lots of time and practice. Any volunteers? :)

It is crazy to think that in 3.5 short months, this will all be a distant memory and then my dream job will miraculously fall into my lap :) First there is a certification exam of course and lots of different costs to incur. But I am so ready. I am ready for the 'normal' schedule, the regularity of the work week. Most of all, I am ready for the paycheck!

Otherwise things are status quo: 40 page papers due each week (just finished one on menopause) and we also have a couple additional classes this semester. One class, called Roles and Issues, addresses just that: the roles and issues associated with being in the nurse practitioner role. It discusses health care, moral reasoning, etc. Another course we are taking is management concepts, focusing on the legal responsibilities and implciations of being an advanced practice nurse. It makes sense that we are taking these courses in our final semester: we have enough experience under our belts to put our own clinical experiences into perspective.

Well folks, the nose is running, the stomach is grumbling and the neighbors upstairs are singing opera (yes, they are opera singers). It is time to press the 'publish' button and be on my merry way. Until next week, stay well, stay WARM and see you around!

Rachel

I missed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment