Wednesday, March 6, 2013

As promised!

Well ladies and gents, as you prepare for ANOTHER snow storm, I write you from sunny, breezy Grenada where the local time is 7:57pm. We have been having an amazing time here. For those of you who aren't sure what I am talking about, myself and 5 other NP students, along with one faculty member, are in Grenada, an island in the West Indies located near a few hundred miles from the coast of Venezuela. We arrived Friday evening and have been BUSY BUSY ever since!

On Saturday morning, we went to Mt. Gay Psychiatric Hospital and performed breast exams on some of the female patients residing there. The women and staff were so thankful for our services and loved hearing about our lives and what it is like to live in Massachusetts! In addition, we distributed bras that you wonderful people helped to donate to the women, and they were so incredibly appreciative!

After that, we headed back to St. George's University, our home base for the duration of our experience. The school is home to a very reputable medical, veterinary and nursing school. There are students from all over the world here!

In addition to performing breast exams, we have spent 2 days precepting with Grenadian doctors. Each of us have had different experiences. I spent yesterday precepting with an amazing pediatric and adult primary care physican named Dr. Kecia Lowe. We have formed such a special friendship and I hope to see her again on her next visit to the states or my next visit to wonderful Grenada! Today, I spent a day at the Planned Parenthood League, which was a really amazing experience! Months ago, I had trouble being able to independently perform a Pap smear or do breast exams. I feel that this experience has not only opened my eyes to an amazing new culture, but also has improved my clinical skills so I can be better provider when I return home to finish my final semester!

Otherwise, we have spent a lot of time learning about Grenadian culture, including a visit to a show that demonstrated local culture and history. We also have participated in various on campus activities with both the nursing and medical school. For the rest of the week, we will have a bit of free time. However, we will be busy rest assured! We will be visiting both a nursing home and a home for the disabled, along with participating in a health fair up in the mountains on Sunday.

I am absolutely blown away by the kindness, friendliness and patience of the people here. The rule of thumb is: you must say hi to everyone you pass on the street. I guess I could get use to that!

Well, the wind is blowing and my eyelids are closing... work work work!

Until next time, stay safe in the snow and I will send some heat and sun your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment