Wednesday, March 27, 2013

46 days

So, unlike many of my classmates, friends and counterparts who did this, oh say, 2 years ago I finally counted how many days I have until I officially graduate from nursing school: 46 DAYS! I can't believe it! Time is flying by so fast! I remember thinking to myself as winter break drew to a close, "Well, Rach, you are done but you aren't. You have tests and case studies, a trip to Grenada..." Well, the case studies, the exams, the papers and Grenada have come and gone and the Spring is upon us! My heart leaps at the sight of those tiny, newborn buds in the dirt.

Although it is still chilly out, and supposedly more snow is on the horizon (sigh) that smell of spring is in the air. The memories of clinicals past whirl round and round in my head, reflecting on the challenges I have overcome in my 3 years here at Regis. And here I am, sitting at the desk in Health Services as I do each and every Wednesday, and I remember the short 6 months ago when I couldn't tell you anything.

September:
Cindy: "How did his throat look, Rachel?"
Rachel: "Uhh.. I mean, it was... it wasn't pink but it wasn't red. But you know, it had some bumps but I don't know if those are normal. And yeah... but I don't know."

March:
Cindy: "How did his throat look, Rachel?"
Rachel: "Mildly erythemic, no exudates. Tonsils were 2+ bilaterally. Based on his associated symptoms and his throat, I am going to rapid strep him but I expect it to be negative."

Yeah, yeah Dr. House, eat your heart out!

The most amazing thing about nursing is that (sorry folks) YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING! Every single day, every single patient teaches you something new about assessment, diagnosis, management...every single moment is a learning opportunity. And I have found that if I approach each and every day and opportunity and patient in this manner, I get the most out of my experiences. I guess that is the case with life: if you approach it as an open book, you get one well written novel.

As of today I have completed 529 clinical hours!! 536 by the end of today, and that will leave a mere 64 between me and my Master's! A couple of case studies, one paper here one paper there and a final exam and it's time to run off in to the sunset.

Well, until I do, I have patients to see and new things to learn. Have a wonderful Easter, Passover or whatever else the weeks ahead have to offer!

Until next week!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment