Saturday, February 9, 2013

Let it snow, let it snow, let it...WOAH!


So don't worry, I am not going to be one of those cranky New Englanders who whines about the snow (sorry if you are one of them). I mean, come on people, it is Massachusetts! This is part of the fun! Truth be told, I really like it! I can't imagine living in one of those dreaded states that have nice weather all year long, warm air, ocean, palm trees... I mean, there is something to be said about earning your summer! Boston born and Boston bred- sorry folks, that's my spiel!

Anyway, like all of you, I have been staying in due to the crazy storm! Luckilly we have not lost power. I decided to get snowed in with my parents so they wouldn't have to shovel and snowblow alone- they aren't spring chickens, you know :)

So this morning we triple-attacked the driveway and boy was it exhausting! I think I snowblowed for 2 hours, and the snow was up to my thighs! The best part of the day was taking Bella out in the snow. She LOVES it! She must have been an eskimo in her past life.

In nursing land, things are status quo! I know I say it probably every post, but it is crazy to me how fast time is flying! I already have my midterm exam in 2 weeks...possibly THE last midterm exam of my LIFE! As each semester winds on and winds down, I always think how it flies but start to mentally prepare in a way for the next one. It is so strange to realize that this time around, there is no 'next one'.

I look back on my posts of insecurity, confusion and utter panic at the beginning of this year. I remember walking into patients' rooms and feeling completely clueless: clueless where to start, what to do, how to do it. It is really looking back at those times that you realize how far you have come and how much you have learned in such a short period of time! Now, I find myself going into patient's rooms alone with confident, having the ability to really listen: not only to what the patient is telling you, but what they aren't telling you. This is something they don't teach you always in school: look at the body language, the clothing, smell the air in the room. Every sense tells you something, gives you a piece of the patient puzzle.

Then, I find myself beginning to diagnose patients and do what I feel is the hardest part of all: deciding on appropriate treatment and management. You finish taking pharmacology and you think: ha! I've got this! I know all the meds, the side effects, all of it! But really, that is the easy part. Every patient is different with different goals, symptoms, histories. So even though you'd like to think that one drug fits all situations, it simply doesn't. That is where the importance of experience comes into play. And thankfully, I can honestly say that I love every single one of my placements and feel that each of my preceptors have instilled in me a sense of confidence, competence, autonomy and most importantly,value for the well being of my patients.

Well, as the wind howls and my belly growls, I bid thee adieu so I can go to sleep before I eat more (funny how snow storms stimulate the sweet tooth- hello ginger snaps, congo bars, chocolate). Until next time, be safe and stay warm! Oh, and if you are one of my fellow Regis College students, enjoy your long weekend.

Rachel
Doesn't she look like a turkey?!

No comments:

Post a Comment