Sunday, February 17, 2013

The dream becomes reality

So it is mid-February and time travels on. A short 2 or 3 months ago, I imagined what would be going on at this time. I figured I would be starting to prepare and get excited for my trip to Grenada (a week from Friday!). That is true. I figured I would be feeling stressed, tired and overwhelmed from the normal grind of graduate school life. That is true. I also figured I would be searching, searching, searching despirately for NP job opportunities, thinking it would be far too early to even hope for possible opportunities. Well, the searching and searching part is true, but I am happy to report that the second half of my prediction is way way wrong!

It all began last week. During the fall, I had sent my resume and cover letter to a local pain management practice inquiring about an RN position. Figuring I would hear nothing of it, life went on. Then, I received a phone call last week from the physician at this practice. But she wasn't calling me to discuss a potential RN opportunity. She was calling to discuss a nurse practitioner job opening. My heart fell into my stomach, my throat clenched with nervousness... Me?! Interested in me?

And so a week from this Tuesday I will be meeting with this doctor to learn more about the practice and their needs! Just when I thought things couldn't get more exciting, I heard from another potential employer interested in interviewing me! And while beaming with pride, I walked into the computer lab to read my email to find a health center interested in interviewing me. I do not tell you this to brag, I tell you this for a couple of reasons:

1- Dreams DO come true! If you work hard and put effort/dedication into something, you will get out what you put in
2- Don't ever think that taking the initiative and sending out your resume is a bad thing, or, that it is too early to do so. Worst case scenario, the employer will just say no, or, we don't have a need at this time.


So, while I continue to pinch myself amidst this craziness and hope for the best, I am starting to organize myself for my service trip to Grenada! This past week, my group and I raised over $1000 as part of our raffle! I am so touched by the generosity and kindness of our family and friends, along with the Regis community. I can't wait to meet the people there and feel the hot sun!

Well, I have to go start working on my case study due this week on thyroid disorders. Until next time folks, keep on keeping on and I will keep you updated on the job hunt!

Rachel & Bella
Is something wrong with this picture??

No comments:

Post a Comment