Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Happy Halloween!... wait, what?

Okay, so I end up saying this every single year, yet every single year I seem surprised...

Where did the time go?! 

Like, are you serious? It is November 14th? Thanksgiving is next week? Finals are 3 weeks away? I am one semester from graduating? Wow, I have never said that before! But boy have I wanted to for 3 long years.

They say the grass is greener on the other side. Lately, I have found that adage to be more true than ever. Take me, for instance. Two short years ago, I was a first year in the GM program. I remember freaking out. How am I going to go at this pace, with this work load for THREE YEARS? How will my boyfriend stay with me? How will I maintain my friendships? How will I not gain a billion pounds? How will I take care of my pup? And here we are... in the blink of an eye it's year 3. Where did the time go!

Back then, I told myself, "All I want is to get to next year. It'll be better then." So then, when I got to year 2, I said to myself, "Ugh. What was I thinking? All I want to do is go back to year 1. It was so much easier then!" So you can only guess what will happen next year. I have spent all my time wanting to move forward, forward, forward, and chances are, once I graduate from Regis, I will find myself saying a variation of the following things:

-Wow, I never  thought I'd say this, but I miss school.
-Oh my goodness, these loan bills will never end.
-I am so afraid to be practicing without the supervision of my preceptor.
- Where did all the time go?

So, the grass will be greener here, where I stand today, not where I will be standing in 6 short months. So, to you nursing students out there slaving away at your work, wanting to zoom forward or go back, I recommend that you do the opposite...stand still. Accept the reality of where you are for what it is, and know, from someone that has been there, that the future will be worse in some ways and better in some ways, but all we can do is walk the path. Hang in there, take one day/week at a time, and in no time at all, you will be done with this phase. I hate to admit it, but I know once I am done at Regis I will miss it... even the crazy, neverending work. Somethings we won't be able to return to. So try to be in the moment and make the most of it. The grass may look greener on the other side, but maybe you just didn't notice how green it is where you stand.


ZzZzZzZz. Dreaming of Rachel's graduation... more time for ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment