Monday, November 5, 2012

Tempted!


So, I am SO tempted to hop on my soapbox and tell you who I think you should vote for. How I fear the future of this country is heading in the wrong direction if the candidate I am voting for doesn't win. BUT- this mystery is the beautiful of this country. I don't have to tell you who I think you should vote for, nor should I tell you who I am voting for. Instead, I am telling you the one sure thing that cannot be argued by anyone on either side of the aisle:

TOMORROW, NOVEMBER 6TH, YOU NEED TO GET OUT AND VOTE!

I am fortunate to have this be the 3rd presidential election I will be voting in (I know I am aging myself!) Everytime I go to the polls, I feel a unique sense of empowerment and unity when walking into that voting room. It is amazing to look into the eyes of women and men, old and young, Black and White, left and right who feel the same sense of responsibility, who care enough about their country too to take 10 minutes out of their day. Instead of running to Starbucks before class, instead of playing Xbox, instead of taking a nap.... GO TO THE POLLS AND VOTE TOMORROW.

Sometimes getting the opportunity to vote comes with some confusion. Still to this day, every year I wonder if I am registered. Hopefully this will answer some common questions. Firstly, if you have voted in any election before, whether it be state or federal, you are automatically registered to vote this year. If you have never voted before and did not register to vote in October, unfortunately, you will not be able to vote. A great idea would be to take the opportunity to register for the next election tomorrow! Another common question is regarding where you go to vote. If you have not moved since the last election, you go vote at the same location unless you have been notified of any other change. If you don't know where to vote, you can visit http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/MyElectionInfo.aspx and enter in your home address.

In addition to voting for state senator and president, there are 3 ballot initiatives you will be able to vote for! Firstly, there is the Right to Repair initiative, which would make it easier for you to get your car repaired at any shop that you choose. Secondly, is the Physician-Assisted Suicide initiative, which would give an option to terminally ill patients to have the right to end their life with a lethal dose of medication. Thirdly, is the legalization of medical marijuana in the treatment of some chronic, painfull illnesses like cancer, MS and Crohn's disease. For more detailed information on these initiatives, you can visit http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/2012_ballot_measures.

I know this blog isn't the most exciting, fun or intriguing of them all, but I think it just may be the most important. You have the right to vote: a right that thousands of men, women and children have DIED for. We have the right AND the responsibility to have a say in what goes on in our lives. Get out there and do your part tomorrow, and may the best man win.

Bella for President!

No comments:

Post a Comment