Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Nursing School Boyfriend, Ned.

Well hello everyone! Thanks for stopping in to read my blog this week. Things are real exciting on the home front here in Watertown.

Bella is... sleeping
Human Boyfriend is... sleeping
Rachel is... writing case studies, reading, stressing, not breathing, coveting sleep.

This is nothing new however. This is the life of the nursing student. Anyone who has ever been in nursing school will agree that unless you are living it, there is simply no way to describe to someone on the outside what it is like. So, I've decided truly the closest thing to compare it to is a serious relationship. So, I introduce you to... Nursing School Boyfriend aka Ned.

Ned <3


 I mean, nursing school really is  like committing to a long-term relationship with someone you barely know, devoting every waking hour to them, staying with them for 3 years and then deciding you are better off on your own. You will have learned from the experience, taking new knowledge and wisdom onto the next adventure. And you will be forever changed. But LORD is it a commitment.

Ned is driving me crazy! He takes ALL my time! Weekends, weekdays, nights, mornings...even my dreams! I finally get to sleep, and what do I dream about? PATIENTS! I even spoke to one in Spanish the other night... beat that!

Ned takes all  my money! I have spent a lot...let's just say 6 figures to endure such torture? And he makes me crazy! I find myself losing my balance for no good reason, drinking an obscene quantity of coffee, eating on the run, exercising too little and stressing too much.

Well, now that you mention it, I guess Ned does have some qualities to him. He has made me stronger than I ever imagined. I have endured more challenges, stresses and hurdles than I ever dreamed. He has made me wiser: filling me with the stories of countless patients, the experiences of veterans, the dreams of the dying. He has instilled in me the values of nursing: compassion, patience, honesty, open-mindedness.

So, call me crazy for personifying nursing school, calling him my boyfriend and naming him Ned. I guess he has really made me crack. But I sure am fond of who he has helped me become these days... I guess me and Ned should keep this thing going... at least for another 5 months :-P

Dreaming of Treats, forget Ned!


No comments:

Post a Comment